Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Days I-Don't-Know-Which

Sorry for the lack of updates. It's been busy, hot, and miserable here, and quite honestly, I'm ready to go home. I haven't been in the "blogging" mood, and there really hasn't been a whole lot to say. But here are some general updates.

Over the past few days:

*Cristi-Daniel returned from the hospital in Barlad last week. After about half a day, he was put into isolation due to diarrhea. (He got ca-ca on Jane's shorts and leg. Poor Jane! And poor Cristi, of course!) He was pretty subdued the first couple days, but he's getting back to his usual self.

*Lea-Celine was also put into isolation about a day after her return. They say it was because she had diarrhea, too, but the reason for her diarrhea was more likely the fruit that she was given the day she got back, after two weeks of whatever food she got at the hospital.

*Little Andreea is taking little steps (with help), and yesterday, I "tricked" her into standing on her own--for about two seconds. Roxie is also working on standing, and she's getting better at it (again, with help)! We've been trying to get the twins to say "Mama," and one day last week, Whitney actually got Roxie to say it! She hasn't said it since, though.

*On Wednesday, Marius walked all the way back from the front gate, holding one of Carla's fingers. Way to go!

*Roxie held her bottle by herself for the first time.

*Susan brought out a tub of water and some rubber duckies, and the kids (Alex, Alina, Ion, Petre) loved splashing in it!

*Nicoletta was pretty fussy for a few days, and yesterday she had a fever of 102.8. She's still hovering around 9.5 pounds. She was pretty content today, and her temperature was down.

*On Friday, Big Andreea smacked her head on the door and got a big goose egg on her forehead.

*Mihaela loves the fairy wings that Kristen brought, and they suit her well.

*As of yesterday, the majority of the kids are "sick." Some have fevers (some high, some low), some have red throats, some have spots on their tonsils. So not only have many of them been miserable for the past two days, it's also INCREDIBLY hot this week, and we're not allowed to go outside. In some rooms, we can't even open the window or turn on a fan or open the door.

*Kristen taught Alina how to flex her biceps.

*Yesterday I went with Dan, Susan, Jane, and Kristen to the place in Barlad where Ana-Maria, Sami, and Maiastra now reside. We were afraid of what to expect, and wow, were we pleasantly surprised! The kids live with other children with disabilities, as well as caregivers, in a house, and it seemed so much like a family! It was really nice, and the kids seemed to be doing well--especially Maiastra, who was more focused, social and interactive. She still loves to look through transparent things, so she latched onto me so she could play with my glasses, but once she started pulling on them, I had to take them away. Ana-Maria, they say, hasn't made much progress, but she looks better, at least. She was kind of unkempt last summer, and when I saw her yesterday, she was cleaner, her hands looked better, etc. And Sami, well...I'm not sure how much progress he has made, but it was nice to see him, all the same. :-) There were other children there, as well; some with Down syndrome, like Sami, some with (I think) cerebral palsy...One little girl in a wheelchair reminded me of my Big Andreea from last summer, and she had the biggest smile and the most adorable giggle when we tickled and talked to her. And there was a little boy who was blind and had psychological problems, but blindness was his only diagnosis.

*No news about Raul...I've pretty much lost hope that he'll be back before I leave. Even worse is that I didn't even get to say goodbye to him the day he left; they just took him while I was in with Nicoletta, and nobody told me until after the fact. Very sad about that...But I hear Caroline will be on the next team, so I know that once he returns, he'll be getting plenty of loving and attention.

I'll try to post tomorrow about my weekend trips--both Sighisoara and Bucharest. For now, here are some pictures. I haven't taken many in the past few days, but hopefully I'll be taking more the rest of the week. Tomorrow, we'll be taking my computer to the clinic so the kids can watch a movie--we rented The Hunchback of Notre Dame on iTunes!













No comments:

Post a Comment